Facial steaming with essential oils offers an extra dimension to the cleansing process. A facial steam increases perspiration, deeply cleanses the pores and encourages the elimination of deep-seated wastes and toxins. Steaming also softens and loosens the dead skin cells, making them easier to remove, and hydrates the skin. If the skin is very sensitive, or if there is sunburn or other inflammation, steaming should be avoided. All other skin types will benefit from a weekly facial steam with essential oils- especially oily skin.
How to Perform it
You will need
A bowl of boiling water. A large towel. An essential oil.
What to do:
1) Prepare a bowl of boiling water, making sure you have a large towel nearby.
2) Add 5-10 drops of essential oil, according to the strength of the aroma desired.
3) Hold your face a little way above the bowl of boiling water and essential oil and place the towel over your head.
4) Keep your eyes closed, but be careful not to get your face too close to the hot water. If the initial vapor of the essential oil is very strong, lift your head away for a few moments, until the vapor is less powerful.
5) After steaming for 5 mins, wipe your face and allow it to cool.Then use cotton pad dab with rose hydrosol or lavender water. This further cools the face and closes the pores.
What essential oils to use?
Normal skin: chamomile, rose otto, lavender, rose geranium or rosewood
Dry and sensitive skin: chamomile, rose otto or lavender
Mature skin: frankincense, sandalwood, myrrh, chamomile
Oily and combination skin: lavender, juniper berry, ylang ylang, cypress, grapefruit or bergamot